Wednesday, August 6, 2014

No Gods, No war, Know Gods, Know War?

Everybody else was in bed sleeping.
"If you want we can turn this off, if this isn't the kind of thing you want to listen to?"
Swimming in wine in a lake house in the south of France, I look at him in front of me in all honesty, glowing from the fire we lit for warmth and ambiance, and say,
"No I want to listen. I think it's important"
"That's good. Sometimes, I don't know, I just have to now whats going on and think about what is going on."
"It's refreshing. I don't mind listening at all. You know, back home if I mentioned something about war or brought up the word "Gaza" to most of my friends it'd be like talking about unicorns or something to them. A lot of them think it's pointless to think about like 'oh, I cant do anything about it so why should I think about it?' It makes me kind of mad sometimes. Like... OK you spent all this time getting yourself famous for your art, or how good you can party or whatever, on your instagram and all these supposedly cool media outlets, all these magazines, but you can't say anything about the real world or things that are going on at home even? and to that, you can't DO anything? Don't you have legs that walk, or a mouth with a voice in it? It's pointless to be mad at them about it, how 'uncool' they think it is to have opinions on things like this, but it is frustrating that in fact they can do things but just choose to not."
We listened to the radio on his podcast about the increasing violence shed on Palestinians in Israel, how it's hard to defend either side as they are both actively engaging in a war, and how it's impossible to believe that anyone in their right mind actually wants death for people or for this case, whole nations. We discuss both possibilities that both nations are wrong and just need to cease immediately both offenses.
But what do we, as people soaked in comfort, really know?
The next day we walked up a hay ridden road from a lily pad covered, wondrous lake we swam in. We had just seen a wild snake for the second time. I think, there in that moment, that I feel eternally lucky to have been brought up in  the San Francisco Bay Area.
That I am allowed freely to have thoughts like these ones, and that my mother taught me well.
I propose, "What do you do about these things? Do you go in mass right up to the borders of these countries and demand that they stop this? That you are indeed for life and prosperity for everyone?"
"I dont know. There are some people who have said that- that people should just go to the country and demand peace. It's unrealistic but it's a good idea. Obviously a very dangerous one, but still good. "

to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment